Tense calm with Saúl

After the departure of Vitolo, the man from Elche is the great unknown in the operation left by Atlético. There are no movements and, except for a last minute turn, this Wednesday he begins to work with the team.

Tense-calm-with-Saúl

The Saúl case was called to be the soap opera of the summer at Atlético, and perhaps it still is. But at this point there have been no script twists and the midfielder (26 years old), who was determined to change of scene, has not moved and this Wednesday the rojiblanca preseason will begin, except for a last minute acceleration. If on May 22, when the team won the League, that seemed to be the finishing touch for Saúl at Atleti, a month and a half later nothing is clear.

In the exit operation there were two names marked in red and to which, in addition, the club had granted the possibility of deciding on their future, provided that conditions beneficial to all were met. Vitolo's future has been resolved on the fast track, just before returning to work. With Saúl, whose departure is not as easy as that of the canary, who has barely a year left on his contract, we have to wait.The midfielder did not have an easy season at Atlético and saw how he even lost his place in the eleven, when in previous courses he had been among the three players most used by Cholo. This change of role made Saúl reflect on whether it was time to go out in search of new challenges, of another football. And he transmitted to the club the possibility of opening the door to leave. Atleti, of course, is not willing to give away a footballer who, although it has been devalued - partly also due to the crisis - is still a very important asset of its squad. His release clause is 150 million, an amount that no club will come close to.

Suitors in the Premier

And since As told Saúl's intentions to leave in March, with Bayern as the most interested team, the market has barely moved. And normally it takes a big purchase to move the hornet's nest of signings. The rojiblanco 8 has been linked with many teams, but none have finished preparing a powerful offer to both him and the club. The German champion, for example, publicly resigned his signing ("You can forget about it," Hoeness said). Manchester United (which has followed him for years and still loses Pogba), Chelsea (at Tuchel's request) and Liverpool (through Wijnaldum) have Saúl on the agenda. But from there to signing him there is still a stretch.

Not going to the Eurocup has been another blow for Saúl, who fell from the last calls of Luis Enrique. With the National Team (and with the U21 even more), the midfielder signed great performances and exploited that profile of arrival. Now off the list, your cache goes down too. That is why at Atlético it is not clear that the future of their footballer goes through an exit. And at the club they believe that he is a more than recoverable footballer. However, there is still a market and it will still have to be shaken.

De Paul toughens the competition

Meanwhile, Atlético supports the position. Torreira left, who finished his assignment, and Rodrigo de Paul is tied, who shines in the Copa América waiting for it to close and announce his arrival at Atlético. More competition for a midfield where Koke is indisputable, Llorente too, although he can play in various positions and Lemar convinced Simeone. Kondogbia, Herrera (who could also leave) and Saúl remain awaiting, a story that has not passed the first chapter. And on Wednesday, with the youngest of the Ñíguez, Atlético starts 21-22 ...



Photos from as.com
Powered by Blogger.