Mannarino almost didn't play against Zverev after maintaining contact with Paire

The meeting between Alexander Zverev and Adrian Mannarino was delayed two hours because the Frenchman maintained contact with his compatriot Paire, positive for COVID.

Mannarino-almost-didn't-play-against-Zverev-after-maintaining-contact-with-Paire
The German Alexander Zverev beat Frenchman Adrian Mannarino on Friday in a third-round match that made him wait for about three hours due to "medical problems", according to the tournament organization, potentially related to the coronavirus and on which the winner highlighted that "the right thing to do was wait." The US Tennis Association (USTA) delayed the duel between the fifth seed and the thirty-third seeded "while a collaborative dialogue with sanitary officials took place," said both were aware of the situation and that "due to the sensitivity of the medical problems involved "could not elaborate.

At the time scheduled for the game, around 5:00 pm at Arthur Ashe Stadium in Flushing Meadows, the cameras focused on Zverev lying on a towel, shirtless and looking at his phone, which he commented that he had " relaxed "because he had been told there was" little chance "of both of them playing. Mannarino is one of several French players who have been subjected to stricter restrictions within the Flushing Meadows "bubble" after compatriot Benoit Paire was withdrawn from the tournament a day before its start after testing positive for COVID-19.

"It was not in our hands to determine the decision, nor was it up to the players to play or not. It was more a political issue and of people above us," Zverev explained at a press conference after the match, while on foot clue suggested that "the state of New York" had ordered "no play" French. "In my opinion, the right thing to do was to wait. So I waited, I had to give him the opportunity (to play) and if I had been in his situation I would not have wanted not to play the game. Fortunately, we were able to play and both for him and for me. it was better that way, "explained the 23-year-old tennis player.

The German overcame a set against and beat Mannarino 6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-2 and 6-2 this Friday, after which he stood out as exceptional circumstances. "He has to be in quarantine, it really was the last time he was allowed out of the hotel room for a long period of time so it seems to me that for him there was nothing to lose," said Zverev, who considered the Mannarino " a great player". His rival in the round of 16 will be the young Spaniard Alejandro Davidovich, who also won in four sets, 7-6 (2), 4-6, 6-2 and 6-1, against Briton Cameron Norrie and reached the eighth for the first time from the end of a Grand Slam.

The bubble continues to generate controversy

Before the mess, Zverez had already been one of the first players to charge against the bubble. More and more are being added to that list, one of them was his partner in the doubles of the Cincinnati Masters 1,000, Tim Puetz, who charged against the USTA on the 'Advantage' podcast. "They never informed the players or the staff that 10% of us would be in a second hotel that is not a bubble. The hotel of the other 90% of the players is completely different. In that hotel there is security at each entrance, there is only tennis players. Here, in ours, you can enter without problems. They only reserved a few floors. When you enter the hotel you mix with people who are not in the tournament. This was not discussed at any time before the tournament. If you do not ask, the organizers they do not inform you of anything, "he said.

Just as there are criticisms, there are also defenders. The latest to publicly support the USTA is Andy Roddick. "The" false bubble "has succeeded in opening a tournament of international significance. I hope that the beloved Roland Garros de Paire will be able to achieve the same. I would also say that Zverev, of whom I am a fan, should be the last to throw stones at people ", posted on social networks.

Photos from as.com

Powered by Blogger.