Ashleigh Barty will not defend her title at Roland Garros

The Australian tennis player communicated through her Instagram account that she will not defend her title in Paris "due to health risks" and because she does not have "an ideal preparation."

Ashleigh-Barty-will-not-defend-her-title-at-Roland-Garros

Australian tennis player Ashleigh Barty announced on Tuesday that she will not travel to Paris to defend her title at Roland Garros, the third 'Grand Slam' of the season that will be played from September 21 to October 11, both "due to health risks" that They exist because of the coronavirus and because they have not been able to do "an ideal preparation" because they do not have their coach due to the restrictions.

"It has been a difficult decision to make, but sadly I will not compete in Europe this year. Last year's French Open was the most special tournament of my career, so it is not a decision I have taken lightly." Barty explained in a post on 'Instagram'.

The world number one, who also resigned to play the US Open due to the pandemic, pointed to "two reasons" for not traveling to Paris. "The first is the health risks that still exist with COVID-19. The second is my preparation, which has not been ideal because my coach has not been able to train with me due to state border closures in Australia," he said.

"Now, I look forward to a long preseason and summer in Australia. It has been a challenging year for everyone and, although I am disappointed on the tennis side, the health and well-being of my family and my team will always be my priority. Thanks to my fans for their continued support. I can't wait to play for you again, "said Barty, wishing" the players and the French Federation all the best for a successful tournament ".



Photos from as.com
Powered by Blogger.